Saturday, February 18, 2017

The Beauty in Wilderness


I've started this new Bible Study by Pricilla Shirer a few weeks ago. It's kind of awesome. In the best and worst way imaginable. It's about Journey's with God. This verse is totally reshaping the framework I've viewed the entire story of The Exodus with....

When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them by way of the land of the Philistines, though it was near. For God said "Lest the people change their minds when they see war and return to Egypt." - Exodus 13:17 (Emphasis mine) 

Did you catch that? Because for my entire walk with Christ, this truth and observation was lost on me. God took Israel to the Promise Land the long way. Not because He's mean, but because He loves them enough to keep His priorities straight, even when it hurts. Like Rick Warren said “God is more interested in your character than your comfort. God is more interested in making your life holy than He is in making your life happy." This is all well before any of the sin or struggles that they would eventually find themselves in the middle of. This was the start of their journey. He had lessons to teach them that were going to take them the long way. But another really astounding thing? He lead them that way because He knew the easy way would simply lead them right back to where they started. His entire plan for Israel went far beyond reshaping them. His plan went deeper in to maintaining their FREEDOM. This shows me that God will stop at nothing to fight for our freedom. He was even willing to send Christ to buy our freedom. 

I don't really like going the long way with The Lord. His way often hurts, is frustrating and downright confusing. But the cool thing that I've learned in recent years is that God does have my best interest at heart. I have a hard time with trust. When I think I'm actually maybe starting to get a grip on trust, my inner control freak has to show up. It's fantastic. 

I don't claim to be an expert or have all this "life experience" at 29. But I can speak as one who has walked some scary roads where I didn't want to go with God. Usually I was something like the toddler throwing a fit in the back of the car, kicking her car seat. But in spite of my meltdowns, Jesus has proven Himself over and over to me faithful and trustworthy. Why trusting Somebody who's SO trustworthy is so tough, I'm still trying to figure out. But in my experience, I can say that my Wilderness Journeys have so far eventually lead me to places of release, greater change, and authenticity. The Wildernesses have changed me, but also protected me. They've brought me to the place of true and lasting change, and ultimately freedom, like Israel. 

Even though I know all this, it only helps some. And I find myself engaged in arm wrestling matches with The Lord over control. (Bad idea, FYI....) But he's always so gracious...He keeps on just having all of these "Aladdin Moments" with me....and doesn't even seem to get tired of me yet. 





He's graciously holding His hand out to me, offering abundant life, beautiful adventure, security, peace and joy. And yet, I still sit there, even more wide-eyed than Jasmine, paralyzed by my fear and inability to LET IT GO. (Wow. How many Disney references can we cram into one blog?) 

I'm determined to get to the place of trust, though. Because the thing is, when I can't trust or predict people or situations going on all around me, I can rest in His character.The song Hidden by United Pursuit has recently been wrecking me. The entire song is beautiful. But the lyrics that haunt me the most say "I trust your heart and your intentions."  

Yes, Jesus. When I can't see or know anything else with absolute certainty, I can know YOU. And no, much to my chagrin, You are no tame Lion. But you are Good. And you are King. 








No comments:

Post a Comment