faith·ful
ˈfāTHfəl
adjective
adjective: faithful; plural noun: faithful
1.
loyal, constant, and steadfast.
"he exhorted them to remain faithful to the principles of Reaganism"
Synonyms: loyal, constant, true, devoted, true-blue, unswerving, staunch, steadfast, dedicated, committed.
Even as I read this definition, it only confirms in my mind and spirit that this is my word for this year, inspired by http://oneword365.com/. Totally on board with and engaged and excited about this idea. Join, if you like or dare. :)
So why did I choose my word for 2014 to be faithful? Maybe a better question why would I choose a different one! :)
In my mind, faithful has several facets to it. First, focusing on faithful inspires recalling and retelling of God's past faithfulness. Looking back on God's faithfulness brings an entirely fresh and new perspective.
Secondly, in a more here-and-now sense, it infuses courage, joy and thanksgiving for this moment. God's been faithful in the past moments and He'll remain faithful -there is boldness, calling and blessing to be found in that. He literally cannot be unfaithful...it's as opposite to Who God truly is as you could possibly get. Just like I will never be a tall person because that's the opposite of who I am created to be, God cannot be unfaithful because that contradicts everything He is.
Thirdly, it convicts and spurs me on in being faithful to God and others in my own life. Being faithful and committed in the small and big things - cause it's all big stuff when we do it as unto God. I need to be faithful in how I steward all Gods given me, and that translates in big and small ways, cause it all matters, eventually. How am I spending my time, money, calories, and energy? Am I closely guarding what I'm really feeding my spirit, body and mind? Does all this help or hinder my goal of running, and one day finishing my race well?
And finally, I love that when you break down the word, faithful, and take it literally, you can make it mean being faith-full. Like full-faith. Like there's so much faith in you that it spills into the rest of who you are and makes one staunch, loyal, unswerving, and all those other wonderful descriptors. I want that in my life. I need God to develop such a faith in my heart that it becomes my default. Because I'm going to need that default when tough times come.
I'm so excited for what God has in 2014! A year full of much growth, challenge, maybe a bit of normalcy (whatever that even is!) and intense discipleship with my Rabbi to be sure.
Are you game? What's your word?
So why did I choose my word for 2014 to be faithful? Maybe a better question why would I choose a different one! :)
In my mind, faithful has several facets to it. First, focusing on faithful inspires recalling and retelling of God's past faithfulness. Looking back on God's faithfulness brings an entirely fresh and new perspective.
Secondly, in a more here-and-now sense, it infuses courage, joy and thanksgiving for this moment. God's been faithful in the past moments and He'll remain faithful -there is boldness, calling and blessing to be found in that. He literally cannot be unfaithful...it's as opposite to Who God truly is as you could possibly get. Just like I will never be a tall person because that's the opposite of who I am created to be, God cannot be unfaithful because that contradicts everything He is.
Thirdly, it convicts and spurs me on in being faithful to God and others in my own life. Being faithful and committed in the small and big things - cause it's all big stuff when we do it as unto God. I need to be faithful in how I steward all Gods given me, and that translates in big and small ways, cause it all matters, eventually. How am I spending my time, money, calories, and energy? Am I closely guarding what I'm really feeding my spirit, body and mind? Does all this help or hinder my goal of running, and one day finishing my race well?
And finally, I love that when you break down the word, faithful, and take it literally, you can make it mean being faith-full. Like full-faith. Like there's so much faith in you that it spills into the rest of who you are and makes one staunch, loyal, unswerving, and all those other wonderful descriptors. I want that in my life. I need God to develop such a faith in my heart that it becomes my default. Because I'm going to need that default when tough times come.
I'm so excited for what God has in 2014! A year full of much growth, challenge, maybe a bit of normalcy (whatever that even is!) and intense discipleship with my Rabbi to be sure.
Are you game? What's your word?
No comments:
Post a Comment