Sometimes, all you need is a little perspective. So here I am going to really put myself out there and share a terribly humiliating story that will probably cause you to never trust me with directions or maps ever again. (This is honestly the all-time low of my directionally challenged moments while driving. I actually do okay-ish with directions when I'm not driving. But when I am driving, it's more often than not a bad joke.)
So, last night my cousins (not Pat and Kristy, my other cousins from the other side of my family, Will and Natalie who also happened moved to the area the same time I did.) were gracious enough to help me out by bringing some of my things back to Oregon when they follow me west, flying out in a few days for Christmas themselves. So in thank you I told them I'd bring Chick-Fil-A for dinner when I dropped my things off, since they live close to one and I needed to try it before I move to the land of Chick-Fil-A-lessness. So last night, I plug in the address to the Place of All Things Yum to my GPS, and I'm on my way! I made it there without any problems, and seat belt-ed the goods in my passenger seat. (That lemonade is like liquid gold. I wasn't messing around, people.) Anyways, a more logical person would have realized that I probably don't exactly know how to get to Will and Natalie's house from this place since I only know one particular route to their place and this a totally different rout. But oh, noooo, my adventurous side kicked in and I thought "Eh, I think I can figure it out if I retrace my steps and take a couple of the correct turns. Let's try....") Needless to say 4 minutes later I'd pulled over and called Natalie. She gave me directions. And again, a more logical person would have simply asked for their address and plugged it into the GPS and been on the way. But I heard the directions and thought they sounded easy enough. No problem. Except for the fact that I apparently have the memory and attention span of a goldfish. A couple of wrong turns later, I did find myself in a familiar area and knew I was close. But I was coming from a different direction than usual and it was dark which totally threw me off. Also, somehow my sense of direction and logical deduction skills are for all intents and purposes essentially useless when I'm driving and having to make quick choices and trying to observe landmarks and street names. ("Left turn? Okay. Oh good, Lindy. Wrong left. Too bad you're a little dyslexic sometimes...") But you know the dumb thing? Once I was in the familiar area, if I'd just mellowed out, pulled over, stopped and sorted out where I was on my mental map I am positive I would have managed to make it to Will and Natalie's without the million and 12 phone calls it took to get there. And our Chick-Fil-A probably would've been warm. :) But I was too busy trying to get there, spinning my wheels (literally!) when all I really needed was a little time and perspective to slow down, think and really figure things out.
So what does this terrible story have to do with anything? Everything.
This is exactly how I've felt about this year and a half, honestly! This has been a season for me to learn to stop putting undo pressure on myself, slow down, sort some things out and get to know myself much better. I've grown and learned so much during this season, it kind of amazes me. This opportunity and place in life is exactly what I needed to evaluate things and know Jesus better, and figure out how to work towards that end every day. I was spinning my wheels in a lot of ways, but now feel like I have more direction and am more grounded.
I'm so thankful for this year and the perspective it's offered me. And if there's one huge take away it's exactly that: perspective. Sometimes all you need is to just slow down and get your head screwed on straight again. And perspective births an untold number of gifts: thankfulness, contentment, peace, balance, and abundant joy. And those are only some of some gifts I've found in a deeper sense this season. And for that I'm hugely thankful. Perspective keeps me grounded balanced and centered, even when nothing in life is any of those things and it's all discombobulated. Circumstances don't dictate the gifts you receive, you do by your reaction to your circumstances.
Thank You, Jesus for this turn in my life's path. I look forward to the even crazier and wilder turns I'm sure are just around the bend. In You, I have nothing to fear and everything to gain by taking chances and letting You lead.
No comments:
Post a Comment