Saturday, November 8, 2014

(IN)courage

I've started a new Beth Moore study on Philippians. This week what's sticking out to me is a lesson from earlier this week. 

Barnabas. Did you know something? That wasn't his given name. His parents and blood family called him Joseph. But his spiritual family? They changed his name for him. They saw such fruit in his life, and it so defined who he was they had to change it. There wasn't any real choice. So Barnabas it was. And what did it mean? No big deal really. Only "son of encouragement". I mean...what?

My mind goes into several places at once here, so bare with me.



 First I think of what encouragement means. It means to instilling courage into somebody. Speaking life into them. Being courageous for them when they can't be. Seeing the best in them and telling them exactly what you see. 

Then my mind goes to this place of desire. I want to be an encourager! I want my life to be so marked by encouragement that it is a defining feature! I would love few things more than if somebody was describing me to another person and they said something first like "Oh, Lindy? She's an encourager. Super life-giving and uplifting person."

Also I skip back to the "son of encouragement" part. He was a son of encouragement. His encouragement was given to Him by God. His Father was his Supreme Encourager. When others failed him, when he had tons of reasons to get down, God wouldn't let him stay down. God always lifted him up, came to his aide. God made him brave. The Spirit breathed courage into him and cast out fear. And all that courage spilled out onto others! And Barnabas had his life marked by that! His encouragement came from a divine source! It wasn't human! 

As I stare 27 down, and kick off another year of life, I want my life defined by encouragement in that way. I want to be a Daughter of Encouragement. I want to first receive my courage from Christ. But I want so much courage that I have to share it with others and I have such an excess and surplus I give it away to others. I want my life to me defined by investing and pouring into people. I want to build people up. Even when the construction process gets dicey and complicated with constructive criticism and honesty and iorn sharpening iorn and loving people too much to leave them how they are. I want to look for ways to come along side somebody and make sure they know they're not alone. 

Because after over 20 years at this following Jesus thing that's exactly what He's done for me. He's been by my side always offering help, kind words and love. He's loved me too much to never challenge and change me, but His love isn't biased on my response- it's always there. Mine for the taking. He is always making me brave and building me up. He gives me what I don't have, so I can give it to others. I can honestly say Life with Christ is the greatest, most fulfilling, exasperating and growing adventure I've ever had. And I want my words, deeds and lifestyle to show that. I want everyone to unanimously see and experience themselves that I'm a Daugher of Encouragement. 

Aslan, you are no tame Lion. Thanks for this beautiful life full of beauty, tears, music, give and take, mountaintop and valleys. But mostly, your Grace. It's everywhere. Let's make this year count! 


No comments:

Post a Comment