Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015: Presence

And so last year Mom and I started this thing. When you, instead of making resolutions, choose a word to focus on, and you take the entire year to develop that word. It can be linked to your goals. But it's different. The Idea is to learn about your word and and grow in it. Last year I chose the word Faithful. I was approaching it from a few perspectives:

A) God's faithfulness. Always something to rejoice in. 
B) His faithfulness gives me courage for the next calling. He's been faithful to show his perfect love before, and he'll show His perfect love now. And that love casts out fear.
C) His faithfulness gives me reason and inspiration to be faithful! To go about my callings and life in ways that honor Him. To be faithful in how I handle my life. 

I'll be honest. The "Part A" was much more obvious and easier to focus on than the other two. I have so much in my life I need to change, develop, reconstruct and bring under the submission of Christ. I have a ton I need to be discipled by my Rabbi in- so, so much to learn, so much to grow in! It's overwhelming. Most of these things fell under being "faithful". Doing my best with what God has given me. Developing new good habits in life. But! NEWSFLASH! It doesn't do any good to do any of that in your own strength. And I confess, all of the changes in my daily life that I need to make lie in my dependence on Christ. I've crashed and burned too many times with wresting with my sins- things like self-control, discipline, organization (or lack thereof!) have proven too impossible to tackle on my own. And I only find myself continuing the struggle. 

So my heart behind Presence as my new word this year is to first remember in His presence I have all my needs met. His presence provides all grace, fruit and power I need to carry out my life in a way that hopefully looks more like His than last year. But I'm going into presence first, not second. I'm not going to have His goodness and faithfulness and grace cause me to believe and act like I "owe" Him somethig. I owe Him everything and that's nothing that I can even come close to repaying. 

So yeah. I'm one of those cheese balls who sets goals, does reflecting and likes New Years for the fresh start. And to make it even worse, most of my goals and things I want to focus on are even the stereotypical ones. Worse still, they're resolutions and goals I've failed miserably at multiple times before! But before I go crazy with a social media fast, new budget, health plan, revamped daily routine and all kinds of healthy changes, I have to look at my Source. I have to look at where my strength is coming from. I have to finally allow this truth to sink into my dense head and heart: apart from Him I can do nothing. His presence is key. His presence has to be my motive for all things. How I spend my money, time, calories, energy and focus. How I develop my daily habits. It's got to start with His presence or it's all a flop. Seek first His kingdom.....then the rest comes. 

But even if the rest doesn't come. 
Mary sat Jesus feet, not caring about the work to do, not attempting anything in her own strength. She just was. She had a pure heart, hungered and thirsted for righteousness and she saw God and was filled. In His presence is fullnes of joy. Better is one day. Pursing and seeking him in every aspect of your life will be enough. The fruit in that is unmatched.


So ask me how Presence is going next time you see me. Hopefully I'll have a couple of compelling and decent answers. Most of all I want to have 2015 be the year at His feet.


Happy 2015! 

What's your word?





No comments:

Post a Comment