Well! Last weekend! Paris! Pretty cool! So here's a more detailed report! :)
So I left for the bus ride in the middle of the night Friday/Saturday, and we arrived in Paris by about 11ish Saturday morning. We spend a few hours just driving around, and our tour guide was great to point out lots of places to us, and let us stop and take pictures a couple of times. One of those was at the Eiffel Tower. I can't remember the second one, just that I am sure I would have been more impressed by its significance had I not been SO tired. :) Next, we went to the Notre Dame Cathedral, which was Beautiful and my camera couldn't even do partial justice of. Then, after we were done with that, we had about an hour and a half of free time. A couple of the other girls and I found a little cafe and got some quiche and sandwiches there. It was nice to get to know a couple of others from the group, and they were two of the 5 ladies I ended up spending the most time with over the weekend. :) After lunch we shopped around for a few minutes but didn't go far since we had to leave somewhat soon. When we left, we went to our hotel, and got settled in, room assignments and ready for dinner out. Then we had a traditional five-course French dinner which was very good and long! I have to say...you have not actually had bread until you come to Europe. So much better!!! :) Dinner was great, and it was nice to mingle...but by about 9ish, after such a long day, sleep was also a welcome idea! :)
Next morning, by 0800 we were off to check out the Castle of Versailles. (Pronounced like ver-sigh) This was the "Hunting Lodge" of Louis the 14th. And by "Hunting Lodge" I mean covered in gold, paintings, marble, sculptures and was all sorts of over-the-top. I will think twice before giving my Dad a bad time about over-doing it on packing for camping trips again....He's got nothing on French Monarchy. :) Anyways, when we left Versailles, we took a quick photo pit stop at the Arc De Triumph, then we were headed for The Louvre...the most overwhelming museum I can imagine. :) Barely made a dent in any exhibits, but DID make it to the Mona Lisa. :) After we were done at The Louvre, back to the hotel to put our feet up for a little bit, then a dinner out again, which was a bit simpler than Saturdays dinner. I tried escargot and it was actually very good. :) We took a cruise on the river around the city to see it illuminated and that was a definite highlight. After that, made it back to the hotel, and by this point I am just glad our bus is still on one piece given the crazy traffic we have had even on a weekend!
Monday morning: Last day! So we made it count and saved the best for last: The Eiffel Tower!!! :) I think most of our group went to the top, and I am really glad I did. It was pretty fantastic! :) I don't really even have a good way to describe it....you just have to experience it, I guess. However, my cousin Nichole had warned me to keep an eye out for anybody/anything odd because when she was there she saw a guy in a gorilla suit. What?! Anyways, hate to disappoint Nic, but no cigar....the Tower seemed to only have normal-ish people around it. :) After that, we were dropped off and given a few hours to spend on lunch and a last shopping opportunity. I would have been happy to leave after about an hour, cause I just ate on the bus, and hardly did any purchasing anyhow. But the extra time to soak in Paris was also cool. :)
Anyways, that's the microwave version of a pretty cool weekend! :) I can't wait for more chances to explore! Stay tuned. Next up: Brugge, Belgium; Bern, Switzerland and Prague, Czech Republic! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment