Thursday, October 10, 2013

Letter to the almost-16-year-old Me

Dear  Almost-16-year-old Self,

I'd love to take you out to coffee for our upcoming birthday! But since I can't, I'll write you a letter. 

First, I promise the "future" you is much kinder, more patient with yourself than the present you, and you're not as bad off as you think you are. That's actually a nugget of wisdom you can remind yourself of continually, regardless of what place you're in! Be kind to yourself! You're often better at being patient with others than yourself. Stop that and save some for yourself.

Next, I'd tell you about how God has His own timetables for you and many amazing lessons that will take you into unspeakable places because of that! This kind of goes along with being patient and kind to yourself. See, much of your "growing up" has come a lot slower than many of your peers in a lot of ways. Well, in the typical ways. You know, the usual suspects that seem like rights of passage. Growth Spurts. (That one you had. You didn't always grow, but when you did, you grew like 5 inches in a year.) Puberty. Learning to drive. Graduating high school. Dating. College. Living on your own. Career choices. Jobs. Marriage. Motherhood. All the things that scream independence and adulthood. So at almost-26, I can tell you you'll be "behind" a substantial number of your peers and friends in each of those categories. And at 26, you'll be waiting for quite a few of those things to happen still. But I can also tell you by that age, you'll see that none of those things really matter. They are not the true markers of maturity, growth and life lessons, so quit putting unneeded pressure on yourself. You're probably more guilty of that than anyone else in your life honestly. God hasn't really done anything "the normal, typical" way in your life, so why would you expect the "milestones" of life to happen like everyone else? But trust me, you will be thankful for the slower pace. Stop looking at me like that. You will, honest. Besides comparison is a toxic, ugly place and even at 16 you know that.

Anyways, next, I'd talk with you about your fear. Unfortunately, for as optimistic, happy-go-lucky and bubbly as you are, you're also one of the most fearful, perpetually-freaked-out people I know. Again: stop that. Take courage in God's hope. He hasn't called you to fear, He's called you to courage. Easier said than done, I know, but you've gotta get a handle on this. And you're gonna need to get used to facing unknowns, risking your reputation, and new situations. He has some amazing and crazy things for you to do that will stretch you beyond what you would guess now. Perfect love casts out all fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of peoples opinions. Fear of getting hurt. Fear of not measuring up. Fear of rejection. Fear of being alone. ALL of it. Accept Gods redeeming work from fear! Choose to live in that love and engage in life. The real tragedy isn't getting hurt or having things go wrong - it' s living so safely that you aren't actually alive.

Next I would try to explain, though you might not want to listen, that it's also crucial for you to live out of Thanksgiving. I know it's a weighty concept for a 16  year old to try to try to grasp, but, girl, if you can you'll be so much better off! It's not till you're about 23 you really enter into some serious lessons about a lifestyle of thanks, and it slowly but surely transforms you over the coming years. Don't miss the gifts and miracles of this moment you're in right now. There is so much to be thankful for, life is so balanced. You'll learn tons about that in Germany. Yes, I said Germany. You can stop foaming at the mouth now. I of all people totally understand but it's still making me uncomfortable.

In that same vein of thanks (You'll learn that the two were meant to coexist beautifully!) I'd encourage you to pursue a lifestyle of prayer. It's all that really matters in the end, and honestly it will help you with all the rest. Prayer helps you see God's unique plans, conquer fears, and observe with thanks. But also, cultivate a heart of prayer so that you can handle all life throws at you. It's your offense against lies and attacks. Build yourself up now so that you're strong when the tough times come, and have the wisdom and good perspective to fully appreciate and see the gift in the joyful, sweet times. There will be plenty of both!


In the end, you'll find that a life completely lived out of a place of surrender and courage in The Lord is the only real way to live. You'll have times that He will take you through some scary, unknown, exciting, fun, adventuresome and frustrating places. But He's there, never giving up, constantly working towards that good, complete work. (Like I said. Be gentle with yourself.) You'll learn that you're never really alone. If I'm remembering right you've probably halfway-recently read a quote in your devotional by Natalie Lloyd and it still comes to mind from time to time. "Loving God is an amazing frustrating and unknown adventure that can take you all over the world! And at the end of the day, you're STILL in His arms! What a lifetime!" You'll find this to be incredibly true. Abundant life lived empowered by Him is the only real life out there. Even 10 years later, you've found nothing better. There's no where else to go. Just like Peter said,in John 6. (Who you'll only find even more common ground with over the years by the way!) "Simon Peter answered Him, 'Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God.'" You will find Christ is your home - your comfort zone even when nothing else is comfortable. He's where you belong, and you won't want to go anywhere -even the most tempting places- without Him.
 
Don't forget Your family is your God-given support system. You have some amazing friends who by now I think it's safe to say will be lifelong, and they are so highly valuable. Remember, though, family is blood and they are your glue. You'll see they end up being some pretty durable glue too! 

Beyond this, I don't know what else to say. Oh I could spoil things for you and go into details of the crazy twists and turns that lie ahead. I could tell you pretty good run down of the highlights of entire next decade. But trust me, you don't really want that. You already try to predict the future too much. (Plus, I already said too much by mentioning Germany. And you're still drooling by the way.)


Enjoy and seek Him in the moment. That's where He's found - why we call Him I AM you know?

Love, your fellow pilgrim,

The-10-years-older-and-only-slightly-wiser You.

No comments:

Post a Comment