So, I felt prompted to begin reading through John. I'm not even through chapter 1 yet, and I feel like it's pretty rich! Even if I can't wrap my mind around some of it. (I'm winking and nodding at you, first 14 verses. "In the beginning was The Word...." HEADY!) Anyways. I'm finishing up chapter 1 and into chapter 2 this week. Verses 35 till the end of the chapter in verse 51 talk about Christ calling His disciples.
35 The next day again John was standing with two of his disciples, 36 and he looked at Jesus as he walked by and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God!” 37 The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. 38 Jesus turned and saw them following and said to them, “What are you seeking?” And they said to him, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” 39 He said to them, “Come and you will see.” So they came and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day, for it was about the tenth hour.[a] 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Jesus[b] was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first found his own brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ). 42 He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon the son of John. You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter[c]).
So here's a few things that really stand out to me.
1- Sometimes God calls us from a great thing to the best thing. And that best thing will always allow us to follow after Jesus in the most effective way. Think about it. Two of these guys had been following John The Baptist, Jesus' cousin. From what I gather, he was pretty a quality and compelling individual. Eccentric, imperfect and enigmatic, absolutely. But still an amazing guy, and a worthy rabbi. But even he (part of what I love about him is the humility and wisdom I see in his life!) sees that there's something -no, Someone- better, more worthy for these friends of his to follow. It must've been a sacrifice on his part. I don't think it would be a stretch to say there was probably a brotherly dynamic between these guys, and it probably made him sad to have them around less. But Jesus never calls us to settle, and we're always to chase after the most essential thing - following and being with Him. That looks different for everyone. But for these guys, they knew what they needed to do. John got that. He and the disciples didn't get distracted by great things so much that they lost sight of the best. I admire that.
2- Christ is The Great Rabbi! So, it always seemed crazy to me that the disciples (and not just these ones, there's more) actually dropped everything and followed him. Jobs. Families. Lives. Cities. Homes. They left all of these to follow Christ. It's a little easier to understand if you have a little context of the Jewish culture. So there were about 3 different schools and many years of trainings before you could even be considered to be an apprentice for a rabbi. Once you got to that place, you didn't pick your rabbi -your rabbi picked you. I'm sure there's some gaps in this comparison, but I kinda think of it like the Harvard of Israel. If you weren't picked, you'd take up your family trade from your dad. But the chosen students would be mentored by a rabbi and do everything -down to mannerisms and personal preferences- exactly like him. You followed him everywhere. You were supposed to be so close that you were actually covered in the dust of your rabbi after a long day following him down dusty roads. You were trying to be a perfect copy of your rabbi. If they woke up at 5 to go on a 2 mile prayer walk, then study Proverbs 3 with black coffee in hand then you woke up at 4:55 (to make sure you were on time) for the prayer walk and study of Proverbs 3 with black coffee. Even if you're a night owl, you've always been more partial to Psalms and can hardly gag black coffee down. (Seriously. Black coffee drinkers, I don't get you, by the way. And never mind that I'm kinda seriously doubting that the beauty of coffee was what it is today in first-century Israel.) But you did what it takes to be just like your rabbi. So these guys found Christ, the most worthy rabbi, highly worth it. To them, it was an easy yes when they were called.
3- The cost of following Jesus pales in comparison to the reward. These guys received every little bit they put in back - and then some. This is where it starts to make a lot more sense for people to just drop everything and chase after Christ. People do that kind of thing for the right opportunity all the time, honestly. I mean, I did it. I dropped everything and moved across the world in 5 weeks time - totally shifting gears in my life. Once in a lifetime opportunities compel us to do some pretty crazy, but worth-it things sometimes. So why do we hardly bat an eye about doing something crazy like that for opportunities at our jobs, school, traveling, or loved ones, but feel huge resistance when Christ asks us to? Isn't THAT the bigger question? I'm afraid the answer basically boils down to idolatry. God, heal and forgive us.
4- Jesus gives a new identity. So I totally get Peter - we're best pals. Impulsive. Sometimes dense - okay a lotta times dense. Emotional and passionate. Naturally fearful. Awesome at embarrassing yourself. And for the win: he talks a lot. Sometimes it's wise, ah-ah moments ("You are the Christ!") and others it's just the foot-in-mouth-syndrome acting up like that one time he denied Christ. Yes, I do believe we're kindred spirits. But you know what Christ does for him? He gives him a new name. And (again with some cultural context) names meant a lot in their culture. It was an identity statement, and even foreshadowing of one's future. Just at Jesus' say-so, Peter's given a completely new identity, and created into a new life. From Simon ("he has heard" or "hearer") to Peter ("rock" or in the context Christ meant it, foundation of the Church.). So, Christ took Peter from being passive (a "hearer") to a leader, demonstrating strength, and a steadfastness that Peter would ultimately be martyred for. Christ is capable of total transformation in our identity. By the end of his life, you find Peter transformed to be a wise, courageous, grounded man who keeps his passion. Never ceases to amaze me!
What about us?
How can you follow your Rabbi better?
How do you look like Him?
How don't you look like Him?
Where do you hesitate to follow Him?
Where do you hesitate to follow Him?
Where do you easily follow Him?
Would people see you and guess you must be with Jesus?
I'm working on these answers. Cause they're not what they should be. But I'm trying to catch His dust better every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment