Jesus,
Here we are at Christmas again.
In recent years, I’ve taken to writing prayers similar to this. I’m not sure if
it’s because in recent years, crap seems to hit the fan more often as we
approach Christmas (what is it about this season that can bring out the best and worst
in people?) or if I’m just more acutely aware of the crap and fan during this time of year? Maybe both? Maybe, more
likely, the enemy is trying to steal kill and destroy even harder during a
season that we are trying to be more consciously aware of your peace, abundant
life, hope and restoration that you offer. Because we need that peace, abundant
life, hope, and redemption so desperately. We need rest that goes straight to our bones, to our lungs and a kind of rest that's only found in you. I look around and I see and hear
fear in people’s eyes and hearts. And honestly, I’m right there in the mix far
more often than I wish to admit. I listen to stories and I hear and see
humanity at the height of glory and depth of depravity. I feel an odd mix of
things myself. Hope mixed with despair. Fear mixed with courage. Determination
mixed with resignation. Disgust with adoration. I feel all these things toward
the current state of our world and race. Of my world. Cause honestly, when I look
at this world, I don’t think my personal life is much better than the state of
this world. I’m just as broken, lonely, afraid, rebellious and stubborn as the
next person.
I mean the fears in your day
weren’t so radically different than ours. It all has much of the same origin.
Because, we haven’t changed in a few thousand years, have we? So, I mean, when I
look at the world you entered into, it wasn’t so much different than
mine…. War torn by terror and racism.
People’s words cutting deep, causing incredible hurt. Totalitarian governments.
The fear of others opinions and misconceptions. The many abused and hated by
the few. Rebellious- refusing to see your healing. Political unrest running
rampant.
Three refugees taking cover in foreign and maybe even unwelcoming
lands….
You entered into our mess with
us, you saw our need, and met us in it. You didn’t run away from us- you ran to
us. And you knew exactly what you were getting yourself into. They say “Love is
blind”- but it sure wasn’t that one time God decided to wrap Himself in flesh, and become Emmanuel. This wasn’t a blind mission, but a
mission thoroughly planned, and cemented in your determination to offer
redemption and healing to mankind in the only way we could receive it. In that
respect, I guess it’s not so ironic, but really appropriate, that we as mankind
seem extra lost at Christmas. Maybe all the lost-ness we tend to feel now is an
opportunity for you to redirect and heal us. And maybe, just maybe, we will
stop acting like a bunch of defiant toddlers refusing help, insisting on our
own way, and finally exhaust ourselves to surrender.
The core of who I am aches for that to be true.
The message of Christmas I keep on hearing is fear not. When I take into context
exactly what was going on in the days it was spoken, and in the lives of those
who were spoken to, and tie that message to my life, I’m humbled. For Mary and Joseph, I imagine their fear not meant casting the opinions of
others aside and following your lead. It meant that your calling was higher
valued than the opinions of others. Your plan could not be thwarted by
governments, family or culture. I think the fear not that they received helped them understand and live that. For the shepherds, I think fear not for them was an invitation. I
was an extension of grace no matter where you are and no matter what your
background. It was a beautiful effort to include anyone, and leave no doubt that all are welcome to your family. I think maybe their fear not was an opportunity to rejoice
and change. I know I need both messages, and I don’t think I’m the only one. It
seems so impossible, simple and radical. You came to offer perfect love at
Christmas. And that love heals and restores in amazing ways, and I’m determined
to taste and see the goodness of that restoration in my life. Jesus, begin with
me.
I keep on thinking of The Bells on Christmas Day. I really resonate with the entire song..... It kind of sums up where my heart and mind are at right now...
The despair...
For hate is strong, and mocks the song....
The hope....
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail....
And in this awkward, painful and beautiful phase of the now and not yet of Your Kingdom, we will wait and crave for it's full realization. We will learn how to rejoice and grieve simultaneously. And one day grief will be banished. But until then, we cling to the anchor of your Hope- that You're alive, active and present. You are Emmanuel.
No comments:
Post a Comment