50 thankful things from Thursday, November 22, 2012 - Saturday December 1! Here are a few things (I know there are more I must have missed!) I've been blessed by and found myself thankful for this week:
- I was goofing off on Facebook (SHOCK!) :) And I saw the page for Mennonite Village (my retirement community I worked in before the move) posted some pictures of the Thanksgiving Service, so I looked at them. In the pictures, I saw a few my old residents at the service. They only had backs showing in the pictures (HIPAA and all that...ya know.) BUT I knew who they were, and just to know that they were able to go made my heart smile. :) Sure love and miss those wonderful people!!
- I got to Skype with all of my family -both parents, brothers and their lovely wives, and all nephews and nieces were accounted for (at least for a few seconds!) today! :)
- My Aunt Marcy was also in on some of that Skype call also, so that was fantastic!
- As if that wasn't enough, my cousin Candace (on Mom's side) also called me when she was at the Alexander sha-bang, so I was able to be passed around on Skype to my extended family! :)
- Somewhere between those two calls, I was able to Skype with my friend Heidi who is from Delaware, but now lives in Pennsylvania. I met her on my mission trip to Mexico summer before freshman year of high school and haven't seen her since, but we've kept in touch over the years which has been a blessing. She just got married in early October, and it was awesome to "meet" her new husband Kevin! :)
- When I find myself missing (LIKE MAD!) all of these amazing people mentioned in points 1-5, it only awakens me to how many wonderful people I have in my life and how God has blessed me in my relationships! And that's only one night's worth of Facebook and Skype! :)
- I got to have Thanksgiving dinner with The Perry Gang. I feel adopted by them and I am incredibly blessed to have this chance to really get to know them! :) Even if they do give me a bad time about my lack of football knowledge....honestly, it only makes me feel more at home. :) (Apparently I should have been embarrassed when I couldn't remember if football had quarters of halves? YES Pat! I definitely said HALVES and QUARTERS!!! Not innings and quarters. Sheesh. I am well aware innings belong in baseball and soft ball. Can I get a little credit!?! :) But I will be hearing about that one for the foreseeable future.) :)
- We got to decorate for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving. The kids "coming to Christmas" wide-eyed is adorable. :)
- Living in a busy house that is full of life, energy, orderly chaos and activity. :)
- We have a fridge full of left overs! There are entirely too many people worrying about where their next meal will come from. I don't have to.
- The way little girls giggle uncontrollably when they are being chased around the house. :)
- My computer and the internet. I have to say having a computer and reliable internet that enables me to keep in touch with people and things in the North West is a huge blessing. It would be so ten times more difficult to be away from home if it weren't for things like Skype, Facebook, E-mail, and keeping up this blog, which has become my journal. I really don't want to think about how much more homesick I'd be if I weren't able to use my computer and the internet in those ways.
- Washing machines.
- I was able to clean my place today. It always feels so nice to have a clean space. It's the little things. :)
- I have full use of all my limbs to do that cleaning.
- Throwing/frolicking in leaves with little kids. :)
- A nice, warm down comforter.
- Space heater!
- Hand-me-down clothes from a friend! :)
- A nice, long 4 day weekend!
- Warm sweaters.
- Laughter.
- Hot Cocoa.
- My bed.
- Sore muscles from a (light, but it still counts!) workout this weekend. They signify the beginning of more progress!! :)
- A first time potty-training success!
- An incredibly encouraging, beautiful Christmas video I shared on my Facebook! If you haven't checked it out, DO!
- Jesus understands me. Even when I don't understand myself.
- God knows His plans and is revealing them in beautiful, methodical ways. Usually beauty takes time. I can be okay with that!
- Toaster ovens. Honestly, they're life changing! Think about it. :)
- Blogs that speak to my heart, at a time I don't think it could have been any MORE encouraging. Even when I don't know the author.
- Rainboots. We've had steady drizzle for three straight days here. (I think I jinxed us. :) I was just thinking to myself that Oregon is probably rainier...I guess Mother Nature took that as a challenge?!)
- Isaiah 54:5 AMP
“For your Maker is your Husband—the Lord of hosts is His name—and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; the God of the whole earth He is called.” <-- WHAT A GIFT! - Buddy randomly looking at the Christmas tree (as if he'd seen it for the first time this year) getting really excited and saying "LINDY!! It's Christmas!" then proceeds run over to and almost tackle me with a hug and say "Merry Christmas Lindy!!!" :)
- Good nights sleep after exhausting days.
- The chance to be a part of The Body supporting some friends whose baby daughter Hayley has suffered severe brain damage. Honestly the support, heart and prayers of fellow believers who don't even know my friends is nothing short of a miracle in and of itself.
- God's hand at work in baby Hayley's life, and the miracles He's already performed though the outcome is uncertain still.
- The testimony of Hayley's family!
- There is beauty to be found in the difficult and undesirable if you look hard enough, you will find them collide into ugly-beautiful.
- God is Sovereign and has a plan.
- Praying with my mom over Skype. Welcome to 2012. :)
- The chance to turn off the alarm clock for TWO whole days in a ROW this weekend! :) Doesn't always happen that way, but I will take it!
- Clean sheets. One of the best feelings in the world.
- Nice, quiet evenings.
- Hot showers.
- My hair. No, seriously. Think about how many things have to be working correctly in somebody's body to keep their hair. Now imagine me bald. Not a pretty picture. You're welcome. Now you're thankful too! ;)
- That I have use of all my senses!
- Fervent prayers that teach us about the art of "praying without ceasing."
- God is The Great Physician. Let that soak in.
- Skyping with my Dad. :) Even if we were trash talking eachother's dogs... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment