Life gets kinda crazy in this house. I would definitely say the busiest time is in the mornings any time you're trying to get all three of the youngest kids out the door at the same time. Especially flying solo, there's an art to it. This week was was no exception. Earlier this week, was one of those days. I don't think we've ever ran quite this "late" before. (Thankfully "late" is relative, because John and Fiona's school actually has a half-hour window for kids to be dropped of during.) I looked at my watch. Normally we're at least out the door by 0800 since that window begins then. Not today though. Today, we're already running about 15-20 minutes late. Our resident Spider Man is (what I'm sure must be) the slowest breakfast-eater on the planet. Ava is running around like the wild little Koala she truly is, needing a diaper change. And Fiona is trying to start putting her coat and hat on like I asked, but needs my help. Eventually, after some effort on her part, Sissy's given up on her pesky zipper and is waiting for my help (as I change previously mentioned diaper) twirling around next to me the living room, probably singing jingle bells or something. If my mind didn't have a growing list of things to do before we head out the door running through it I might remember the song. Oh, and this just in: Spider Man just announced he's done with breakfast and needs help getting down from the table and teeth brushed. Mercifully, about 10 minutes later, the crew is about as put together and bundled up as they're gonna get and we make it out the door.
All you moms out there, I know you're laughing and understanding.
I'm really glad when God interrupts my conversations with myself sometimes. He nipped this one in the bud before it even began. It started off something like this:
Me *Thinking*: AHH! We're soooo LATE!
*God interrupting* Him: So what?
Me: Huh? So what??? Well, uh we're late, Lord, that's so what...
Him: And I ask you again: So what?
Me: Oh, wait...I see where you're going with this one...
Him: Do you?
Me: Yep, sure do. And in answer to Your question, it doesn't really matter. Come to think of it, we were late yesterday too... It's just been one of those weeks. But none of the teachers batted an eye when we were late. It's not like being 20 minutes late to pre-school going to impact the rest of their lives. Actually, it's probably not going to even matter tomorrow, or even in an hour that they were late. Scratch that...it just doesn't matter...
Him: Exactly...
Me: Perspective. Thanks, Lord.
Him: Any time.
Perspective. The most exciting part to me is that this time, I heard and allowed God to interrupt me! I am, unfortunately, not usually very good at that. But that morning, I was just within earshot and listened up. There have been more times than I care to recount that I have not heard His still, small voice try to interrupt commotion and stress that I usually create. The result is far from what I truly, deeply desire it to be. It usually ends in me not being as patient and level-headed as usual, becoming anxious, lacking peace and joy, and I react rather than respond. Oh yeah. Then comes the guilt over all that. Because I know better, am capable of better and let just about everyone involved down. It gets yucky. I've gone through this vicious cycle for years.
I am learning how to combat that now though, and I am so thankful though I am only just discovering. I am learning so much, and I'm learning regaining your perspective is one of the best ways to counter-act stressful times, or times that just rub you the wrong way. Yes, it's true that approximately 50 things may not go as planned before it's even 9 o'clock in the morning. But do those have to ruin your day or make you stressed out and grouched out? Are they the end of the world? Obviously not. I have the choice to decide what is going to bother me and get under my skin. I get to pick my battles. And I'm not much of a fighter, so I don't plan to pick many battles, and I'm certainly not going to spend it on small stuff when I need my energy for the big stuff. If I'm constantly upset and frazzed out about things, how are people around me supposed to know when I'm really upset?
It's a choice, and it takes much patience, prayer and faces opposition, but continually making efforts to practice a peaceful heart is worth it. It pays off dividends and you will find yourself in a place where you can just breathe simply because the awareness of living in God's presence. He offers that peace. Not anything you or I do. And God's peace isn't restricted or directed by circumstances, in fact, I find it flows all the more freely in chaos. So let the world all around me spin fast, just as long as I have my focal point on Jesus. Because no matter how fast I'm spinning, as long as I have my eyes on Him, I won't get sick. Thank you Jesus for stepping into my crazy moments with me.
All you moms out there, I know you're laughing and understanding.
I'm really glad when God interrupts my conversations with myself sometimes. He nipped this one in the bud before it even began. It started off something like this:
Me *Thinking*: AHH! We're soooo LATE!
*God interrupting* Him: So what?
Me: Huh? So what??? Well, uh we're late, Lord, that's so what...
Him: And I ask you again: So what?
Me: Oh, wait...I see where you're going with this one...
Him: Do you?
Me: Yep, sure do. And in answer to Your question, it doesn't really matter. Come to think of it, we were late yesterday too... It's just been one of those weeks. But none of the teachers batted an eye when we were late. It's not like being 20 minutes late to pre-school going to impact the rest of their lives. Actually, it's probably not going to even matter tomorrow, or even in an hour that they were late. Scratch that...it just doesn't matter...
Him: Exactly...
Me: Perspective. Thanks, Lord.
Him: Any time.
Perspective. The most exciting part to me is that this time, I heard and allowed God to interrupt me! I am, unfortunately, not usually very good at that. But that morning, I was just within earshot and listened up. There have been more times than I care to recount that I have not heard His still, small voice try to interrupt commotion and stress that I usually create. The result is far from what I truly, deeply desire it to be. It usually ends in me not being as patient and level-headed as usual, becoming anxious, lacking peace and joy, and I react rather than respond. Oh yeah. Then comes the guilt over all that. Because I know better, am capable of better and let just about everyone involved down. It gets yucky. I've gone through this vicious cycle for years.
I am learning how to combat that now though, and I am so thankful though I am only just discovering. I am learning so much, and I'm learning regaining your perspective is one of the best ways to counter-act stressful times, or times that just rub you the wrong way. Yes, it's true that approximately 50 things may not go as planned before it's even 9 o'clock in the morning. But do those have to ruin your day or make you stressed out and grouched out? Are they the end of the world? Obviously not. I have the choice to decide what is going to bother me and get under my skin. I get to pick my battles. And I'm not much of a fighter, so I don't plan to pick many battles, and I'm certainly not going to spend it on small stuff when I need my energy for the big stuff. If I'm constantly upset and frazzed out about things, how are people around me supposed to know when I'm really upset?
It's a choice, and it takes much patience, prayer and faces opposition, but continually making efforts to practice a peaceful heart is worth it. It pays off dividends and you will find yourself in a place where you can just breathe simply because the awareness of living in God's presence. He offers that peace. Not anything you or I do. And God's peace isn't restricted or directed by circumstances, in fact, I find it flows all the more freely in chaos. So let the world all around me spin fast, just as long as I have my focal point on Jesus. Because no matter how fast I'm spinning, as long as I have my eyes on Him, I won't get sick. Thank you Jesus for stepping into my crazy moments with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment