Friday, December 21, 2012

When God Puts you in Time-Out.

Last week, Ava wasn't feeling well, she wasn't happy like she usually is, and got frustrated. So I just picked her up and sat down in the rocking recliner "for just a minute" to rock her and calm her down. I'm not sure if it was even 2 minutes, and she was OUT. So there I am "stuck" (as if I really minded?!) with Maimai in my arms just sitting still in quiet (except for a snoring toddler) and I rock her, keeping her asleep. I knew God had something to say, so I didn't even try to put her down. For an hour I sat there with my little cousin and just listened and let Him bring His word and truths to my heart and mind.

I am reminded of His promises, and mostly I am reminded of the importance of being still. His I'm reminded of the power of His presence. I have always found myself struggling to maintain a routine quiet time and I feel like it's a constant uphill battle. And that hasn't changed just because I have a little less going on in my life and my calender isn't quite as full. And of course it only makes sense that would be a battle The Enemy would choose, because our time with The Lord (or lack thereof) has huge impacts on the rest of our lives.

One of the things The Lord reminded me, is that living in His presence means living in Abundant life. And that means that everything you experience -good and bad- is centered on and given perspective from Christ. It means that you taste, drink in and fully experience life and don't let a moment slip by. You embrace the highs and lows, knowing that regardless of where you are, God has a plan and remains in full control and only capable of good.

Another truth about living in His presence is that God reminded me of is that in it you're empowered. Philippians 4:13 and promises of His power in your life become your story. And it only makes sense. There's so much in our lives we cannot do in our own abilities. But where I was most encouraged by this truth was that it applies to every believer's life in many ways. The Bible doesn't just say He promises to be there during the MOST difficult times, the times when we are most acutely aware of our need for Him. Like the families who lost their babies last week, or those struggling through critical illness or a relationship crisis. Here is what I love about God: He's personal, and He offers His power to everyone in ways that they need. That's a beautiful thing to be because I am not in a survival or wounded mode. But I still need Him the same, just in different ways. His power is available at all times and under all circumstances in our lives. That truth blesses me today, because I'm realizing just a little more every day how desperately dependent I am on Him in the things that seem less obvious. I need Him to help me be a patient and gentle person regardless of what's going on around me. I need Him to keep my heart protected from anxiety and fear. I need Him to teach me about praying continuously. I need Him to be my encourager. I am thankful that God is showing me step by step how to be still and depend on Him in each circumstance, moment and breath.

His presence also provides rest and peace, which gives hope. That's something we all need. I find His rest and peace in realizing and trying to fully understand that this world is not my home. His presence offers perspective. Things may or may not be a struggle now, but there will be a day when that's going to change. As a co-heir with Christ, I am promised an eternity in Heaven. Everything becomes much more balanced when you view through the lenses of Eternity.

So now I make it my endeavor and pursuit to live in His presence. I want to stop, be Mary in a world of Martha. Instead of hustling anxiously everywhere, stressing out to the max all for something that's here today, gone tomorrow, I want to be still. Because that stillness offers a peace that surpasses anyone's understanding. And that peace won't leave. I'm learning that I need to take advantage of the quite, sweet moments God gives rather than rush by. Because life isn't quiet or sweet all the time, so I need to make it my practice to step into that sweet quiet. Because sitting in the comfy recliner with a baby in your arms won't last forever. Eventually, your phone is going to ring, the babies going to wake up, and there will be more chasing around that must be done. Soak it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment