Sunday, January 15, 2012

All as Loss...

*origionally written 8.16.2010*

PHILIPPIANS 3:3-11

"...we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh— 4 though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless. 7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead."





i totally identify with paul in this passage. because i think i have a similar story. only modern day. i've been going to church since i was...well before i was even born into my "good, church-going, Christian family". i accepted Christ at the age of about 4 and a half. i've been told since i was in preschool things like "God has great plans for you, you're so special." and "you're so on fire for God." by those who knew me best, and strangers alike. went to private Christian schools. was involved in Bible Study Fellowship. i was baptized when i was 12. helped in church when ever, however i could if i was old enough, especially with kids. i used to be a pastor's kid (for all intents and puposes...my mom was on staff as the head of kids ministry at our church for 2 years) and deacons kid (my dad was chairman of the deacon bord at the church i grew up in). as a kid growing up, and today as a young adult, i'm not perfect, i botch things up, but i have most of the time made good choices and stayed "on the straight and narrow". and for the jackpot, i've even become pretty fluent in "Christianese"...you know...all those words and phrases we throw around in the church and nobody else seems to know what we're talking about? ;) ha, basically, most of what's in this paragraph. :)



and that's where the hard part comes for me. because most of these things are genuinely me. i really am thankful that my parents, brothers, and their wives are walking with the Lord and that we all intend to model that to my nephews and niece. i really am nice - most of the time ;) - that's just me...i don't like being mean. and i love being involved and helping in my church.



and that's where it's easy to let pride take root. especially since it really is part of me. its really easy to make assumptions that i'm always right, or that my perspective is the only valid and reasonable one. it's really easy to let it go to your head when you hear over and over how much somebody looks up to you, or how much they are blesed by you....because *insert sarcasm here* you're pretty much fantasticly amazing. *sarcasm off* or if i'm having conflict it must be the other persons fault because...after all...i am nice...usually. it's really easy for me to take credit for any serivce i do and all i help with in general to make others lives easier...even at work with my job for example. it's really too easy to see where others need to change things when "i've got it all together." and it's also really easy to do things with absolutely terrible motives and not even realize it. you get so egotistical and you become blinded to it.



but the reailty check: the only reason i'm any of those things is because of the work God has done in my life. the only reason i have a desire to serve is because of the way Christ served and reached out to me. any "righteousness" is all because of Him. the only reason He called me into relationship with Himself is because of His Divine plan.



and i mean really? am i really going to boast about "how good and impressive i am" when i'm one of the ones who nailed the Perfect, Spotless Son of God to the tree? am i really going to compare the "righteousness" of church involvement, my "Christian heritage" or all my "Christian credentials" to the RIGHTEOUSNESS of GOD Himself? that's just embarassing really. and quite honestly, i know i don't wanna talk about it.



so that's where i count it all as loss for the sake of Christ. i get real and realize that my petty righteousness is absolutely disgustingly offensive to God compared to His own. who cares about goodie goodie Christian living, spiritual victories, trophies, or medals when i'm only who i am because of Christ. my best deed in my own strength, without love, is pure wickedness next to Christ. i have nothing to boast about because i'm purely simply standing on Grace. and i think we all need need to accept that Grace and show it others.




and so i close, as i do so often, with lyrics to an amazing song....or two. :)







~NICHOLE NORDEMAN: LEGACY~



I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me

And I enjoy an accolade like the rest

You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery

Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best

At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights

We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'

But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides

The temporary trappings of this world



CHORUS:

I want to leave a legacy

How will they remember me?

Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough

To make a mark on things?

I want to leave an offering

A child of mercy and grace who

blessed your name unapologetically

And leave that kind of legacy





I don't have to look too far or too long awhile

To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy

It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile

Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

*CHORUS*



Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred

Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

*CHORUS*









~CASTING CROWNS: TO KNOW YOU~



To know you is never worry for my life, and

To know you is to never to give in or compromise

To know you is to want to tell the world about you

Cause I can't live without you

To know you is to hear your voice when you are calling

To know you is to catch my brother when he is falling

To know you is to feel the pain of the broken hearted

Cause they can't live with out you.

More than my next breath

More than life or death

All reaching for,

I live my life to know you more

I leave it all behind, you are all that satisfies

To know you is to want to know you more

To know you is to want to know you more

To know you is to ache for more than ordinary

To know you is to look beyond the temporary

To know you is believing that you will be enough

Cause there is no life without you

More than my next breath

More than life or death

All I'm reaching for,

I live my life to know you more

I leave it all behind, you are all that satisfies

To know you is to want to know you more

To know you is to want to know you more

All this life could offer me,

could not compare to you

Compare to you

And I count it all as lost,

compared to knowing you

Knowing you

More than my next breath

More than life or death

All I'm reaching for,

I live my life to know you more

I leave it all behind,

you are all that satisfies

To know you is to want to know you more

To know you is to want to know you more

Compared to you

Compared to you

And I count it all as lost,

compared to knowing you

Knowing you

And I count it all as lost

compared to knowing you

No comments:

Post a Comment