Another year has started. A new beginning. New goals. New plans. A chance to do some reevaluating and reorganize priorities. A chance to redeem and retry meeting failed goals. For those reasons, I always liked New Years, like I’m sure a lot of other People do. God has been teaching me a lot of lessons recently. There have been several themes in History – HIS story – that He has been inviting me and challenging me to experience, and take hold of.
One of the themes is freedom. Such a broad topic. I guess just celebrating advent and Christmas is sort of like having freedom written in blinking neon lights. It’s so humbling to consider the audacious and (almost, for anyone but God anyways) impossible ways that Christ dared to reach out to me. I think of what would have happened, what life would look like if there were no Christmas, and no promise of Christmas. But only for a second – cause the idea takes me to a scary and hope-stripped place. I was a prisoner, once upon a time. I was chained to a prison cell. Isolated and hopeless. But Christ came to not only give me the keys to the chains and cell I was locked in. He came to unlock the chains and cell. And what’s more? He came to show me the way out of the horrible prison. And beyond even that? He came to invite me to live with Him in His palace.
But I wonder sometimes what areas of my life I haven’t allowed Him to unlock me. Oh, I’m sure they exist. There are areas of my life that I know I must be captive too. In places of my life, it’s as if I accept freedom in some aspects of my life, but not others. Instead of trusting God, I rely on myself.
But do I accept that freedom then? If Christ ripped open the prison door, ran to my side, announced He’s now here to free me, and I shrug my shoulders and say “Oh, no thanks. Not yet. Now, I’m kinda comfortable actually. My wrists and ankles are used to the calluses the chains caused – they aren’t blisters anymore, so it’ doesn’t really hurt. And my eyes have grown comfortable with my blindness in dark. So if we went outside of the prison – the light would really hurt them. And my stomach has shrunk so much from poor nutrition I don’t really have an appetite any more. Besides, I don’t deserve the feast you’d offer, and it would initially hurt my stomach. So God I’m comfortable here. But hey thanks I mean for dying on the cross, conquering death and hell just for me and everything! I really do appreciate it!” We’d all wonder what the heck my problem was, right? Exactly! Just because the transition might be somewhat painful that doesn’t mean that I should just settle for captivity and reject it freedom! Freedom will involve pain, adjustments and sacrifice.
But in some ways don’t we all just about say that to God? Don’t we all get so comfortable in our own damage that we just ignore and basically spit on the help God has to offer us? Don’t we all have something that holds us back from freedom? One aspect of my life this year that I am determined to focus on is freedom. I want to participate fully, drink deeply and wildly dance in the freedom that Christ offers. I’m determined to let nothing stop me. I am determined to take hold of what Christ has done for me and live a life of gratitude. I am determined to simply rest and be quieted as He rejoices over me in His songs. I will not listen to the lies of the enemy about how I am undeserving of such love. I will not let the enemy addict and distract me to other ways of fulfillment meant for Christ alone. I will hear nothing the enemy has to tell me about how complete health and wholeness this side of heaven is impossible so I should give up now. I am determined to strive for nothing but Him and a healthy vibrant and thriving romance with Him. I will let go of all the things that can get in the way of His freedom. Fears. Pride. Addictions. Insecurities. Idols. Bitterness. Hurts. Offense. Anything in my way of experiencing Christ as much as possible. I want freedom and healing in every way from all of these. I know it won’t be easy and fun – but it will be so worth it! I believe that I will be rewarded in immeasurable ways. I want me some Jesus and I love me some Jesus! And everything else in my life had better bow down and move over because this heart belongs to Jesus. Unfortunately, you may not always be able to tell that, but I’m a work in progress.
So I’m also taking this a step further. I don’t want to be selfish with my freedom and just think of myself. I want to invite you to join me in a lifestyle of freedom if you’re up for the challenge. I will not rest till I have invited everyone who will hear of it to the dance of freedom Christ has called His Beloved to. – That’s you and me guys. Whether or not you know Christ, you are His Beloved. Whether or not He has your Love in return, oh, trust me – YOU are HIS love. People don’t let themselves get butchered and all sorts of messed up for somebody they don’t even care about – He can’t live without you. He went to great lengths for you, your freedom. He is the source of Freedom asking YOU to come join Him in the freedom dance. What chains do you need unlocked in your life? Cause that’s what Christ came for. To unlock shackles and prison doors. To heal the hurt. To bring health to the sick. To bring sobriety to the addicts. To bring direction to the lost. To bring hope to the hopeless. To replace idolaters idols. To warm the cold. To love the loveless. To council the disoriented. To bring courage to the fearful. To offer relationship to the religious. To accept those who are so insecure they feel they will never be accepted. To offer rest from all the ways you’re spinning your wheels. It’s a beautiful thing you could search your whole life for and never find, but I want you to know where to find it.
I won’t rest until I find my rest in Christ and tell you where you can meet me at. It’s the foot of the cross. And I want so much for you to find that same peace and freedom I have. Oh I’m still learning what it looks like to fully experience it and lay hold of it. I have a long way to go. But I’ve also come a long way. I love you and dare you to join me. IT'S FOR FREEDOM CHRIST HAS SET US FREE....IF HE SETS YOU FREE....YOU'RE FREE INDEED!
No comments:
Post a Comment